Yup. It is.
Especially during the summer holidays!!
That’s because the lack of routine has a backlash the size of Australia, creating a face-melting alternative universe in which we all must exist until school starts again. The bickering, the moaning, the whingeing, the MESS!!
So if you are feeling guilty, bad, or both — stop.
Being a parent is amazing, but it’s also hard work and relentless. And if your kids are fed, (relatively clean) and happy, then you have done well. Pat yourself on the back — you deserve it.
If you can stomach going out after bed time (rather than just slumping on the sofa watching re-runs of Friends/How I Met Your Mother/Catastrophe or anything on Netflix) then go for it. Hire a babysitter, and head for the door. Take your partner, a friend or go at it alone.
Just get out of the house. Quickly.
Go carve a little time for yourself, or else that face-melting universe will suck you back in, and hold on to you for at least another 6 weeks. Who am I kidding? More like another 6 months. And if you are feeling so knackered that you can’t even be bothered to think of stuff to do, here are some suggestions as an extra incentive:
- Have a cocktail at Peddler
- Sit down for dinner at Artusi
- Get your hair done at Myla & Davies
- Eat an SE Cakery dessert
- Order nibbles at Miss Tapas
- Book a massage at HB Theraphy
- Buy a new perfume from Roullier Whit
- Have a facial at Dr Boo
- Splash out on a manicure at Polished
- Watch a movie at Dulwich Picture House
- Impulse buy at Bias Peckham
- Listen to live music at The Ivy House pub
Basically, do whatever you need to do to recharge your batteries, stop pulling your hair out and screaming at your husband.